I am so happy to share with you several honors that our faculty and students have received in the month of June.
- Rowan Television Network (RTN) received three Bronze Telly Awards for the programs All Access with the Profs, Game On, and Up All Night. The Telly Awards honor local, regional, and cable TV programming/advertising, as well as online film and video. All Access with the Profs, RTN’s weekly show covering Rowan sports, was produced and anchored by Cody Chrusciel and Corey Scheiner and directed by Megan Patterson. Game On, a video game show, was produced by Alex Wanschura and edited by Tony Wanschura. Their winning episode considered the Nintendo Mega Man game. Up All Night, was produced and directed by Adam Bradshaw. This late night talk show stars Kevin McTigue and Joe Penn and earned honors in the student category.
- Bill Wolff and two Writing Arts students (Katherin Fitzpatrick and Rene Youssef) have recently had the honor of having their work published in the online journal, Currents. The article, titled ”Rethinking Usability for Web 2.0 and Beyond” was informed by research Katie and Rene completed as part of Bill’s NSFS grant and is about important issues of website usability and audiences (crucial to most of domains of communication career at this point). You can find their work online at: http://currents.cwrl.utexas.edu/2009WolffFitzpatrickYoussef.
- Emily Kostic, a senior student in the journalism program, has been honored for her extremely impressive “Journalism 3.0” blog. Emily received a 2nd place award in the “Best Independent Blog” category in the Society of Professional Journalists New Jersey Chapter’s Excellence in Journalism Awards. To visit Emily’s blog, go to: http://www.emilykostic.com/ To view the other winners of the NJSPJ awards, go to http://www.njspj.org/
- Rowan Radio’s Studio 89.7 was the 2009 First Place winner in the Enterprising Reporting category of the New Jersey chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists annual competition. The winning episode featured host Paul Perrello’s interview of Hill Harper, author of Letters to a Young Sister.
- Rowan Radio’s The Women’s Room, hosted by Julia Giacoboni, won First Place for Best Radio Magazine Feature in the Philadelphia Press Association’s annual competition. The winning entry discusses post-partum depression, with commentary by expert guests Susan Ellis Murphy, Coordinator of PPD Services in South Jersey and Connie Bonillas, Associate Professor at Kean University and a PPD survivor.
Please join me in congratulating our talented faculty and students!