All-College Meeting Report
An all-college meeting was held today at 11:00 in Bozorth 118.
Our chairs and department representatives introduced new faculty members including: Tracie Babb (Ph.D. Howard University), who joins our PR/Advertising program from Bowie State this year; Christa Teston (PhD. Kent State University) and Drew Kopp (Ph.D. University of Arizona), both active young scholars who are now part of our program in Writing Arts; David Bianculli (M.A. University of Florida), famous for his writings and work on NPR and infamous for his sartorial style; and a number of other excellent 3/4 time and temporary full-time faculty members.
We also recognized recent tenure and promotion accomplishments of: Clara Popa (Comm Studies, tenure and promotion); Maria Simone (Comm Studies, tenure and promotion); Ed Moore (PR/Adv, tenure); and Jennifer Courtney (Writing Arts, tenure and promotion). Congratulations to each of them!
In college and departmental announcements, some of the highlights were as follows:
- The Writing Arts program now has a track in the Liberal Studies major, as well as a new minor and a 4+1 BA/MA program Journalism is working on the possibility of an enterprise/community journalism program
- An interdisciplinary COGS in Integrated Marketing Communication and New Media has been approved
- An interdisciplinary committee (Art, RTF, and Writing Arts) is working on an exciting new MFA in Communication Arts
- A college wide group is working on a proposal for a concentration in participatory media issues The Writing Arts program is investigating the possibility of rising freshman courses
- Assessment – All departments in the college are doing significant work on program assessment this academic year
- PR/Advertising will be having a site visit for their advertising program this semester. Dr. Jef Richards, from the University of Texas at Austin’ will visit Rowan and provide feedback about the curriculum and the program. The PR program will also be seeking re-certification through CEPR this spring.
- Other departments in the college are working on expansion and development of multilevel program assessment, utilizing portfolios (written and other media forms), exams, etc.
- Advancement – As a college, we are working on our relationships with external organizations and individuals, as well as creating more links to the advancement office. Departments have been asked to produce a list of 2-3 major initiatives that they hope to undertake if funding would become available. “Packages” of initiatives will then be coordinated for presentation to interested donors.
- Forging connections – Much work is happening this year to create a greater sense of connection between programs, between students and faculty, and between the college and other Rowan stakeholders. To that end, the following strategies are being employed:
- Colloquia – College colloquia, providing in-depth discussions of curricular issues and faculty research/professional/creative activity will be happening across the year. The next colloquium is scheduled for October 15th at 10:50 in Bozorth 118 and all members of the college are invited to attend.
- Newsletter – the College newsletter is being revived. The first issue is expected in November. Information to be included should be directed to Janice Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The college website has been revised. Additions for the overall college areas should be sent to me (email@example.com) and for particular departments to the web coordinator for that program.
- A research/scholarship/creative activity database is being created that will be presented on our newly designed website. This will facilitate connections between members of the college, as well as apprising students and other interested parties of all of the “way cool” stuff that is being done.
- Our “participatory media” efforts are meeting with some success. This blog has had around 700 hits, we have over 180 fans on Facebook, and our twitter following is small but growing. We will hopefully soon have a Google Wave site, when it gets approved and I figure out what the heck it is.
So, there you have it. All the news that is fit to print – or something!
Enjoy the lovely fall day.